Pets and Kids
Benefits of having a pet
Kids love pets, we all do. But, we adults know that a pet comes with responsibility. How should we react when a child says: “Mum, dad I want a pet!”
First of all carefully think about the environment first before you make any decisions. A house with a small garden or no garden at all would not be suitable for a larger dog. So first think about the ideal size of your future pet!!!
Imagine how the pet will fit into your family. Does someone have the sufficient time to look after it? Can you afford it financially? Can you maintain it (food, shelter, medical bills, insurance, toys, etc.)? Will it cause conflict with neighbors or local regulations?
Choose wisely. If you have done the first two steps, then you already know what pets and how to choose.
Learn about the selected animal as much as possible prior bringing it home. Teach how to treat, how to look after, how to feed or teach the pet. Establish responsibilities.
If you follow these simple steps, then your family will have a great time having a pet around.
Let`s begin to talk about the benefits of having pets:
- teaches about responsibility (need to eat, need to be clean and safe)
- reducing stress
- balancing self-esteem
- teaches about love and care
- motivates to be more active ( running and playing with a dog for example)
- develops fine motor skills (learn how to touch and be gentle)
- motivates to read and learn (read about the breed etc.)
- new social opportunities (meeting with same pet owners for example)
- lower risk allergies and asthma
Getting the first pet is always fantastic feeling for a child, and they probably will remember forever. The lessons they learn are valuable for life. But to gain all of that you as a parent have to make the right choices before you bring their first pet home.
Do you remember your first pet? What did you learn from having a pet around you?
Let us know in a comment below!